Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

DOES THE TRUTH REALLY MATTER DURING A CAMPAIGN?

I'l start this one off with a disclaimer: I am supporting Chris Murphy for US Senate, for whatever that might mean to anyone. My decision has become even stronger in the last week for one major reason, I think being able to tell the truth and recognize the truth is a quality I want in my next US Senator.

Susan Bysiewicz doesn't seem to possess those qualities. Last week after launching a television ad, Bysiewicz came under fire almost immediately for inaccuracies and less than truthful information put in the ad about Chris Murphy. I would hope that Bysiewicz and her staff would have done better research and verified the facts they were putting out, but she didn't.

The sad part is that even after the errors were pointed  out and actually acknowledged by her campaign, she continues to run the ad on television. Her campaign has even acknowledged the less than truthful information. The 30-second political ad accuses Murphy of accepting "more hedge fund money than any other Democrat in Congress," an assertion that Bysiewicz and her campaign staff now acknowledge is not true. "The ad is incorrect — he's No. 4 in terms of hedge; he's not No. 1," she told reporters Sunday afternoon.

Bysiewicz's comment that "the ad is incorrect" should be enough in and of itself to pull the ad, but I guess correct and accurate information only matters when it is her Christmas Card list.

No comments: